It feels silly to be sharing internetry this week. The world feels heavier and darker than usual after the past several weeks, especially this one. But I’m posting anyway because I read some important stuff (and plenty of not-important stuff) this week.
- A Small Needful Fact. This brought me to tears.
- The conversation we must have with our white children. As did this, especially the Tweets.
- In light of last week’s “intentional summer” article and ideas, I loved this post on slowing down summer (although after this week with the kiddos, I could handle it speeding along!). I have found this advice to be especially true: “Paying attention buys time…Want to make 5 minutes feel like an hour? Put your phone down the next time you stand in a line or sit in a waiting room. Forget social media when you go to a party or your roommate wants to tell you A-L-L about her day.”
- File this in the to-read later file: The Unexpected Joy of a Grown Son. I especially liked this line, which made me feel a bit more normal: “Repentance and regret were my two constant companions during his childhood.”
- This simultaneously completely weirds me out and intrigues me. I’ll report back if I decide to try it.
- Celtic prayers for summer. I love how the Celtic tradition features creation so prominently, and I have been specifically loving these summer prayers.
- Some great reminders for your gardens in July. I have always slacked on a “garden journal,” but I am trying (again!) to do better. It would be so helpful to look back on my own notes versus relying on other people’s expertise who are in different climates, zones, etc.
- Slow cooker ketchup. I usually like to make ketchup once the tomatoes are coming in droves, but it takes for. ev. er. I’m going to try it in the slow cooker this year, just so it will be more hands off.
- Invisibilia is back with a second season, and the first episode did not disappoint, especially the first story. (Side note: Did any The Americans fans catch the EST reference? I didn’t even know that was a real thing!)
- The Pantsuit Politics episode Friday morning. I felt a little more sane after listening to this.
- Grant and I watched The Fundamentals of Caring (Netflix original) one night this week, and we loved it.
- The kids are obsessed with this PBS show they found after the fourth rainy day in a row. I don’t do numbers, so I don’t really get it.
Oldies from the blog
- Use those fresh herbs to make some cocktails and invite some friends over this weekend.
- Freezing squash tips in case you’re drowning in it already.
Hoping you have a restful weekend.