Our CSA share has had lots of tasty carrots here lately. I tried to grow some at home, but they washed out early in the season from a little downspout/rain barrel mishap.
We’ve been mostly just eating the carrots just raw – whatever variety the CSA grew is much sweeter than the typical store-bought variety (and I’m sure this summer’s cooler temps have helped, as well). This easy little side dish is a stand-by for us during the winter months, but Jazzy requested it last week so I threw some together. This is a ridiculously easy – and tasty – veggie side. It is also yummy with sweet potatoes (just add about 20 minutes to the baking time).
- 6-8 carrots, peeled and sliced into sticks
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Dump your carrots in an over-safe baking dish.
- Melt the butter. Add vanilla and salt. Pour the butter-vanilla mixture over the carrots and stir gently to make sure the carrots are evenly coated.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the carrots just begin in brown.
A sarabytheseason original.
If you would prefer a vegan version or just to spice things up, substitute coconut oil for the butter.