I’ve made this several times for Meatless Monday, but I keep forgetting to post it here because I don’t have a picture of it. It isn’t the prettiest looking dish, so maybe it’s better that I don’t have a picture with this post. But trust me, it’s delicious! Our kids love these, and we adults do too.
- 1 cup dried brown or green lentils, rinsed and sifted
- 2 cups stock or water,
- 1 15-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- About a half a small can of tomato paste
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup sweet pepper*, diced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Stir all ingredients together in your slow cooker or Dutch oven. In your slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 3 - 4 hours or on low for 7 - 8 hours. On the stove, cover and cook on low for about an hour, or until lentils are soft.
- Serve in buns, lettuce wraps, or as a side dish. Keeps for a week or more and freezes well.
*Omit if out of season or use some from your frozen stash. Feel free to add more veggies too - carrots, celery, and dark greens finely chopped like spinach and kale are easy additions.
Adapted from A Veggie Venture.